October 2016 Minutes & Notices

 

Candlewood Isle Tax District

Board Meeting Minutes

October 15, 2016

Trading Post

 

 

Board Members/Officers Present: David MacGown, President; Kim Cronin, Vice President; Kevin Kovesci, Clerk;  Mike Mocarski, Roads; Gonzalo Santos, Technology.

 

Board Members/Officers Absent: Nathan Archer, Treasurer;  Patrick Johnson, Maintenance; Joan Archer, Junior Recreation;  John Glynn, Marina; Tim Larkin, Security.

 

Public Present: Terry MacGown

 

 

CALL TO ORDER

President, David MacGown called the meeting to order at 10:00 am.

 

 

APPROVAL OF THE SEPTEMBER 18th BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Kim motioned to approve the September 18th Board Meeting minutes.   Gonzalo seconded, and the motion was unanimously passed.

 

PUBLIC DISCUSSION

There was no public discussion

 

TREASURER REPORT

Cash on hand - $589,929.19

Tax collections FY 2016-17 - $350,194.34

2016-17 first installment to be collected $ 14,621.49

2015-16 taxes to be collected - $6,811.31

Taxes to be collected from previous years – $16,691.80

General Fund Balance: $357,602.41

 

Committee Balances as of 9/30/16:

Junior Rec - $65,926

Marina – $55,717

Tennis - $3,758

Adult Rec – $4,099

Bocce - $120

Capital Improvements – $74,127.86

 

 

ROADS REPORT

Mike explained that the vendor who was scheduled to conduct the remaining culvert repairs and paving has been delayed.  After much discussion, it was decided that all scheduled culvert repairs and pavement would take place in the Spring of 2017.  Specifically, the culvert repairs to a long stretch of Ridge Road as well as the intersection of Sunset Trail and Ridge will be put off until Spring.  In addition, all scheduled chip seal work will be performed in the Spring.

 

Mike reported that he is looking for a new vendor to provide sand and salt for the winter.  He will likely engage the same vendor that supplies the Town of New Fairfield.

 

Mike and David will review the remaining roads budget as well as the culvert inspection report to determine the best course of action for the Spring road work.

 

Kim moved, and Gonzalo seconded to accept the Roads report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

LIFEGUARD/WATERFRONT REPORT

Patrick provided the following report in advance.  Tucker removed the swim boundary lines and buoys last week as well as the swim docks.  The poop and diving board docks will come out next weekend with the Marina docks.
 

 JUNIOR RECREATION REPORT

Terry reported that the Committee will be reviewing the budget and fee structure for Summer Program 2017 in the coming weeks.  In addition, the Committee hopes to rehire Shannon Robinson for the Summer Program 2017.

SECURITY REPORT

Tim provided the following report in advance.  He reported that a guard and non-resident property owner had an impasse at the guard house where the guard would not allow the property owner to pass because they did not have a window sticker, and would not provide the required information (name and address). 

 

The Isle has a clear policy requiring owners and tenants to affix a sticker to their windshields so that guards can identify Isle residents properly.  Owners and tenants who do not wish to have stickers must provide information to the guards each time they want access as to who they are and where they are going.  As part of their security role, Guards are supposed to deny access to anyone who does not have a sticker, or who does not identify themselves properly.

 

In the case described earlier, the Security Company in charge of staffing the guard detail decided to remove the guard from Isle service.

 

The Board reminds residents that if the Isle is going to continue to have guards, owners and tenants need to be mindful of the guards’ responsibility to provide proper security, and must provide information to the guards if they do not have a proper access sticker.

 

 

MAINTENANCE REPORT

Patrick provided the following report in advance.  The series of six Clubhouse events has ended without and major issues.   Patrick offered a thank you to Penny Poole and Cindy Taylor who helped out with the maids and then some.

 

Following a short discussion about the availability of keys to the Isle facilities, it was decided that Board Members and the Office Manager, Karen, will be given a set of keys to the Clubhouse and Trading Post.

 

MARINA/GOLF CART REPORT

John provided the following report in advance.  Both the Clubhouse and Tennis Court Marina Docks will be removed on Saturday October 22, 2016 at 8:30am.  (now rescheduled for 10/29/16).  Volunteers are welcome.  Coffee, donuts, and lunch will be served to all volunteers.  All boats/vessels must be removed by Wednesday October 19, 2016 from the Clubhouse and Tennis Court Marinas.  Any boat/vessel not removed by then will be placed on a mooring.

 

The Marina Committee continues its effort with the Candlewood Lake Authority, First Light, and DEEP to pursue the intention to exchange moorings for boat slips.  A map of the planned expansion has been provided all Departments and the Committee awaits a reply.

 

A reminder that any resident who purchased a Golf Cart after May 16, 2016 must register the golf cart ASAP.

 

TECHNOLOGY REPORT

Gonzalo reported that he trained Karen on the back office aspects of the new website.  He will prepare an email for Karen to send to the residents informing them of the launch of the new website.

 

The Board discussed changing the login and password for resident access, and it was decided that the login and password would not change.  Public access to some of the basic areas will remain open, and items like minutes, the calendar and notices will only be accessed by the resident login.  Directory information will not be added at this point, and will remain open for discussion.  The printed directory will remain as the only directory at this point.

 

Kim motioned to accept the Technology Report.  Kevin seconded and the report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

OLD/NEW BUSINESS

Clubhouse FurnitureKim informed the Board that the new chairs and end tables will be delivered at the beginning of November.  The new couches have been delivered and are in the basement.

 

Clubhouse Rentals   The Board discussed Clubhouse rentals.  It was suggested that the cost for a resident to rent the Clubhouse be increased to cover the cost to have someone “close” the Clubhouse after the event.  Responsibilities would include making certain the Clubhouse was left undamaged, secure, and clean with heat or AC turned off.  Kevin suggested the rental cost also be increased to help cover normal wear and tear of the Clubhouse.  In addition, the higher costs might reduce the demand for such rentals.  Kevin suggested that liability concerns over these events were not worth the rental fees collected.  David reminded the Board that use of the Clubhouse is a benefit of owning on the Isle, and he was not in favor of a significant increase in the rental fee.

 

It was determined that a review of the fee and costs associated with the rental will be conducted.  David will discuss the insurance coverage with the insurance agent, and all will be addressed at the next meeting.

 

Board Member replacements

The Board discussed possible Board replacements for President and Clerk when their respective terms are up in May.

 

ADJOURNMENT

David adjourned the meeting at 10:55 am.  

Respectfully Submitted,

Kevin Kovesci, Clerk