May

Candlewood Isle Tax District

Board Meeting Minutes

May 17, 2015

Trading Post

 

 

 

Board Members/Officers Present: David MacGown, President (by phone);  Brian Wargin, Vice President;  Patrick Johnson, Maintenance;  Mike Mocarski, Roads;  Gonzalo Santos, Technology;  Tim Larkin, Security;  John Glynn, Marina.

 

Board Members/Officers Absent:  Jeff Berman, Treasurer;  Vivian Mocarski, Junior Recreation;  Kevin Kovesci, Clerk

 

Public Present:  Nathan Archer and Barbara Berliner.

 

 

CALL TO ORDER

President, David MacGown called the meeting to order at 10:01am.

 

 

APPROVAL OF THE April 18th BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Pat motioned to approve the April 18th Board Meeting minutes.  Brian seconded, and the motion was unanimously passed.

 

 

PUBLIC DISCUSSION

There was no public discussion

 

 

MARINA/GOLF CART REPORT

John reported that the 2015 Marina/Golf Cart Application was emailed and mailed. The deadline to submit applications and payment was May 15, 2015.  The Committee will review all applications in the coming week to see who has complied.

 

The Committee submitted our forecasted budget for 2015 which was reviewed by the Board.

 

Maintenance and repairs have been made on both Marinas. Additional work and maintenance needs to be done to both Marinas in the next week.

 

Divers will install new moorings and re-aligning moorings on Monday 5/18/15.

 

The docks were successfully installed on Saturday May 16, 2015.  The Committee would like to thank all volunteers for a job well done.  Their assistance in completing the work in a timely manner is greatly appreciated.

 

The Annual Candlewood Golf Classic Tournament will be hosted by the Candlewood Knolls on Friday July 24, 2015.  

Mike motioned to accept the report of the Marina/Golf Cart Committee.  Pat seconded and the report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

TREASURER REPORT

Since Jeff was not in attendance, there was no formal report.

 

Nathan has started to review processes and requirements for the position; spent time with Gonzalo on banks, bill.com, etc.  Nathan is in possession of and has started to review two of the new audit proposals. 

 

Deanna and Karen have expressed concern that they haven’t received payroll information from prospective camp and lifeguard employees.  Dave told Pat that he and the Ambassadors need to quickly contact employees to submit this information.

 

It will soon be time to send out June real estate tax invoices.  We need to confirm with Karen whether all of these will be mailed or if some residents also approved the electronic receipt of tax invoices.  Kevin later confirmed that the waiver residents signed only covered electronic receipt of the spring packet, not tax bills.

 

Account Balances as of 4/30/15;  

Cash on hand - $420,102.18

Tax collections FY 2014-15 - $431,279.02

2014-15 taxes to be collected - $7,356.71

Taxes to be collected from previous years - $29,856.87

General Fund Balance: $189,161.08

 

Committee Balances as of 4/30/15:

Junior Rec - $67,221.66

Marina – $45,788.85

Tennis - $5,219.70

Adult Rec – $2,201.02

Bocce - $120

Capital Improvements – $74,127.86

 

 

LIFEGUARD/WATERFRONT REPORT

Pat Johnson submitted the pay scale for lifeguards, ranging from $10 per hour for new guards up to $13 per hour for head guard.   After discussion, Brian motioned and Mike seconded to approve the lifeguard pay scale as submitted.  The motion passed unanimously.

 

Mike moved, and Tim seconded to accept the Lifeguard/Waterfront report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

JUNIOR RECREATION REPORT

Vivian reported that registration is still going for residents.  The deadline to register has been extended until June 5th.  Sponsor registrations will open the week of May 26th.  All sponsored guests from last year will be receiving an email from Junior Recreation with directions on how to register.  All residents that sponsor guests will be cc'd on the email.

 

If you have any questions please email Vivian at junior@candlewoodisle.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or Lori at

Camp@candlewoodisle.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

 

 

SECURITY REPORT

Tim reported that there were no security calls in the last month.

 

SecurAmerica is conducting interviews for additional guards for the busier summer hours

 

Dave summarized Attorney Hannafin’s report about capacity to install a gate at the entrance to the Isle.  Much discussion ensued. The Board will seek input from residents at the Annual Meeting and plans to review this matter at length in the coming months.

 

Mike motioned to accept the Security Report.  Pat Johnson seconded, and the motion was accepted without dissent.

 

 

MAINTENANCE REPORT

Pat Johnson reported a window was left open at the clubhouse.

 

All repairs are on schedule with no major surprises, although Pat had to summon Roto Rooter to unblock drains in the clubhouse.

 

The maid service will clean the Clubhouse this Tuesday.  Pat requested that residents hosting small gatherings such as movie night return cleaned dishes to their proper storage, and place trash in the storage shed outside rather than leaving it in the Clubhouse to fester.

 

Mike moved, and Tim seconded to accept the Maintenance report.  The report was accepted without dissent

 

 

TECHNOLOGY REPORT

Gonzalo reported that he is moving forward with AssociationVoice implementation, but having a couple of glitches on inputting resident information.  As a result, Gonzalo does not expect to unveil the new website in advance of the Annual Meeting, but does plan to roll out to the Board in short order.  Dave advised Gonzalo to make sure that directions for residents to use the new system will be clear and simple.

 

Pat Johnson motioned, and Mike seconded to accept the Technology report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

ROADS REPORT

Mike reported that roads sweeping has been delayed yet again, this time by a health condition of the vendor after previous equipment problems.  Mike expects sweeping to be completed by the end of this coming week.

 

Mike had been planning to wait for sweeping to be completed before addressing potholes, but Brian and Dave convinced him there was no need to wait.  Mike will have A. Luis address potholes quickly.

 

The drain/culvert cleaning and video inspection is scheduled to begin in two weeks.  After assessing damage, Mike will present a remediation plan and also his 2016 roads repair plan based on the culvert repair cost.

 

Mike informed the Board that repair of the damaged culvert on Ridge Road will start Monday, May 18th.

 

Dave reported that micro seal road repair is being conducted on his street in Westchester County and urged Mike to review the work as a potential economic alternative to extensive repair of Isle roads.

 

Pat Johnson moved, and Gonzalo seconded to accept the Roads report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

OLD/NEW BUSINESS

Board approved Joan Archer’s request to use the spare room above office for bar exam study during summer.

 

Dave asked Board members to come prepared for next week’s Annual Meeting.

 

 

ADJOURNMENT

David adjourned the meeting at 10:53 am.

 

 

 

Meeting adjourned at 10:53

 

 

 

Respectfully Submitted from notes taken by David MacGown,

Kevin Kovesci, Clerk

Candlewood Isle Tax District

Budget Hearing Minutes

May 9, 2015

Clubhouse

 

 

 

Board Members/Officers Present: David MacGown, President; Brian Wargin, Vice President; Gonzalo Santos, Member-at-Large; Mike Mocarski, Roads; John Glynn, Marina; Kevin Kovesci, Clerk.

 

 

Board Members/Officers Absent: Jeff Berman, Treasurer; Vivian Mocarski, Junior Recreation; Patrick Johnson, Maintenance; Tim Larkin, Security.

 

 

Public Present: Ken Bannon, Tim Ohsann, Andrea Moore, Nathan Archer and Gillian Grozier.

 

 

CALL TO ORDER

President, David MacGown called the meeting to order at 9:40am.

 

Dave began the meeting by discussing the lessons learned by waiting too long to perform maintenance on the Isle’s infrastructure.  The Trading Post building was near collapse before the renovation, and the roads remain an ongoing problem that must be addressed.  David explained that the Board came up with a plan to resurface all of the Isle roads under a 10 year plan which would require tripling the road repair budget.  The cost of which would be covered partly as a result of lower debt service expenses as a result of paying off the Clubhouse loan.  The balance would come from an increase in taxes. 

 

However, as the Board was preparing to unveil the 10 year plan at the 2015 Annual Meeting, a new problem arose.  Last Fall, a sink hole opened up on Sunset Trail and a second opened up this Spring on Ridge Road.  Both sinkholes were the result of failing culverts, and while the Sunset Trail repair was relatively easy and cost $2,500, the Ridge repair will cost $15,000 and will require the replacement of 210 feet of culvert.   Mike suggested that most of the culverts were put in at the same time, and his concern is that there are several “Ridge like” situations developing.

 

David considered in imprudent to begin the expensive process of repaving roads, which may cave in as a result of a failing infrastructure of deteriorating culverts. 

 

As a result, the Board has decided to investigate the culvert situation more closely.  This is a process that will require the mapping and cleaning of the current culverts, followed by a detailed video inspection to determine which culverts are the highest priority.

 

The cost of the cleaning and inspection will impeded the Board’s ability to fully implement the 10 year plan, but certain elements of the plan can be implemented on roads and areas that aren’t effected by culvert concerns.  For instance, the section of Ridge Road that will receive a new culvert will need to be repaved.

 

The increased cost of the dealing with the roads will require that the Isle taxes be increased approximately 9.5% for the Fiscal Year 2015-16.  David pointed out that for the last three to four years, the Isle taxes have been relatively flat.  David also reported that the Board expects the same level of spending on road repairs will be necessary going forward as the full 10 year plan is rolled out beginning next year, but that the Board does not foresee any other major increase in the future.

 

All areas of the Isle budget were looked at as possible areas where costs could be cut.  Unfortunately, there is little flexibility in any of the budget items, and cutting any area would present more maintenance problems to address in the future.

 

However, the Board did find that Security was an area where significant savings could be realized.  David reported that new security measures could be implemented that could replace the guard staff by installing a gate system, utilizing new technology by AssociationVoice, the company who will be hosting our new website.  AssociationVoice provides an array of different programs that can provide web based solutions to many of the Isle’s organizational requirements including website hosting, on-line directories, communication alternatives and account transaction services.  In addition, AssociationVoice can add on a program that would provide on-line security services in which could enhance the security of the Isle.  It would require an up front expense for installation of security gates which would control access.  Residents would receive an EZ-Pass like reader which would open the gate as the resident approached.  In addition, residents could provide access to guests by providing a code or printable pass, and people looking for access without a code or pass could speak to someone who works for AssociationVoice who can provide access, depending on how the Isle dictates.  While there is a significant up front cost to install the equipment, the annual savings could be significant, given the cost of keeping guards is in excess of $80,000 per year.  These savings could reduce the Isle security expense by nearly 75% annually.

 

Mike was skeptical that the system would work as efficiently as necessary, and was concerned that the gates would be vandalized often and/or broken.  Brian felt that gated systems work in many other communities, and didn’t see a reason why it couldn’t work on the Isle.  John thought that many residents liked having the guards, and expressed concerned that the volume of cars that come and go would make it difficult for an unmanned system to work.

 

Andrea Moore asked if the Board was aware if the security problems we have faced were a result of on-Isle origin or off-Isle origin.  David explained that the Isle security issues came from both on and off the Isle, but that the most serious was a result of an off-Isle burglar who knew how to get past the guards.

 

Tim Ohsann suggested that heavy vehicle traffic, large delivery trucks and semi trucks that service homeowners who are performing work to their property, were the cause of a great deal of damage to the Isle roads.  David pointed out that the technology provides the ability to easily charge residents for large truck access when contractors are performing work.  While David pointed out that the Board doesn’t want to penalize residents for performing work, there needed to be a balance between allowing work to take place while protecting the Isle roads from damage done by large vehicles.

 

David made it clear that the Board wanted to hear the opinions of the residents at the annual meeting when the issue will be address thoroughly.  The Board will support the consensus of residents, and explained that no changes would be made if the residents didn’t support the idea.  He also explained that if counsel found that adding gates into the community is not permitted under the law, the issue would be moot.

 

Ken Bannon expressed his opinion that the Marina needed more slips.  He felt there was a need for more communication between the Marina Committee and the Community, and though the waiting list for boat slips at the Marina was too long.  

 

David explained that the issue was not a Tax District funding issue, and that tax dollars are desperately needed for other purposes, and the risk of losing $20,000 to investigate the possibility of adding slips was not something the Board was prepared to do.  While John recognized that the need for slips is a community issue, the Marina Committee isn’t in a position to risk the expenditure either.

 

Gonzalo explained the new AssociationVoice hosted website should be launched before the annual meeting.  The website will have the same address as the old site (www.candlewoodisle.com), but would provide greater access to information and better communication with the residents.  Residents will be able to check on accounts, pay taxes and program fees through the site, and there will be on-line directories, newsletters and message boards available to the residents.  The site will have a calendar function in which residents will be able to access events for specific Isle programs, or would be able to access all events in one place similar to the current website calendar. 

 

Ken Bannon asked what mill rate the Board would present to the residents.  David pointed out that the Board would present a budget that reflects a mill rate of 3.35.   

 

 

ADJOURNMENT

The Budget Hearing was adjourned at 10:20am.

 

 

Respectfully Submitted,

 

Kevin Kovesci, Clerk