June

Candlewood Isle Tax District

Board Meeting Minutes

June 21, 2015

Trading Post

 

 

 

Board Members/Officers Present: David MacGown, President;  Kim Cronin, Vice President;  Nathan Archer, Treasurer;  Pat Johnson, Maintenance;  Mike Mocarski, Roads;  Vivian Mocarski, Junior Recreation; John Glynn, Marina; Kevin Kovesci, Clerk.

 

Board Members/Officers Absent:  Gonzalo Santos, Technology; Tim Larkin, Security 

 

Public Present:  Penny Poole, Terry MacGown, Peter Dizozza, John Sterner, Bob Striker, Glenn Moore, William Dionisio,

 

 

CALL TO ORDER

President, David MacGown called the meeting to order at 10:05am.

 

 

APPROVAL OF THE MAY 17th BOARD MEETING MINUTES

John motioned to approve the May 17th Board Meeting minutes.  Pat Johnson seconded, and the motion was unanimously passed.

 

 

PUBLIC DISCUSSION

John Sterner informed attendees that he intends to hang his flag on September 11th, and asked if anyone would assist in organizing a Wounded Warrior day.  Events would include a boat ride around the lake, lunch at the Clubhouse and an event at John’s house to hang the flag.  Kim and Penny volunteered to help.

 

David thanked the members of the Board for their efforts to make this year’s Annual Meeting a success.  He reiterated the Board’s priorities for the year which include:

 

1.      Researching security options and presenting a recommendation to the Residents at next year’s Annual Meeting.

2.      Implementing a long term solution to the Isle roadways.

3.      Identifying replacements for Board members who plan to leave the Board after this year.

 

 

TREASURER REPORT

Nathan informed the Board that Sarah Wellwood has been selected as the new auditor for the Tax District.

 

Nathan reported that he as access to bill.com and has begun the process of approving bills.  He also is also a signatory on the Tax District accounts.

 

Account Balances as of 5/31/15; 

Cash on hand - $464,640.04

Tax collections FY 2014-15 - $426,234.07

2014-15 taxes to be collected - $11,150

Taxes to be collected from previous years - $27,956.89

General Fund Balance: $177,608.64

 

Committee Balances as of 5/31/15:

Junior Rec - $154,606.02

Marina – $49,443.27

Tennis - $9,219.70

Adult Rec – $2,581.02

Bocce - $120

Capital Improvements – $74,127.86

 

Mike moved, and John seconded to accept the Treasurer’s report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

LIFEGUARD/WATERFRONT REPORT

Pat Johnson reported that the beach is open and lifeguard schedule is in effect. 

 

A buoy has been hit by a boat and will need to be adjusted by a diver.  The area to the east of the swim lanes has been roped off, but only in an attempt to deter fishermen from casting close to Isle property.

 

Mike moved, and John seconded to accept the Lifeguard/Waterfront report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

JUNIOR RECREATION REPORT

All Camp staff has been placed.  All paperwork was submitted to Karen with the exception of two counselors, who will submit their paperwork this week.  Karen has kept a spreadsheet and shares it with the staff ambassadors - the spreadsheet has all the updated information as it comes into the office.

 

All background checks are being performed this week by Karen.

 

All registration is closed. Anyone that has not registered will not be permitted to register for camp. The only exceptions are new renters or new owners to the Isle, who will need to contact the office and register their vehicles (cars and golf carts - if it applies) before they can register for camp. All taxes must be cleared before we can accept camp payments. All payments for camp are due by June 28th.

 

All sponsor forms should be signed and mailed with the registration invoice and checks to the office. If a signed sponsor form is not received by June 28th, sponsor will not be permitted in camp.

 

June 28th is Camp and Parent Orientation at 2pm - no registrations will be done that day, only changes on watersport activities, revised weeks and/or paperwork check in. The list of all the campers will be submitted to each counselor group so parents should check the counselor/group table that you signed up your camper in. If their name is not in the list, you will need to see the registration check-in table.

 

We will have new t-shirts this year for the 6 and up group. We will be selling the past camp t-shirts for $3 or 2 for $5 - so bring your wallets. Please bring a can of tennis balls to donate to our tennis camp program.

 

Camp days are June 29th - August 7th; July 3rd there is no camp in celebration of July 4th.

Hours are 9 am - 3 pm - General Camp

Hours are 9 am - 12:30 pm - Tots Program

 

There is a camp activity on July 2nd, called Adventure Bound.  It will be a whole day of beach camp program - it also includes slides and bouncy castles for the camp kids of all ages. They will be at the beach setting up from 9-3pm.  It will be available to all our campers signed up for that week.

 

Junior Rec would like to request 2 more canoe racks in the Marina. Currently, Camp has 8 canoes anda group of approximately 30 seniors. We would like to be able to accommodate - 3 seniors per canoe or 10 canoes.  John reported that the Marina Committee conducting an audit of the canoe racks and will be able to discuss availability with Vivian later in the week.

 

Junior Rec also requests vehicle passes for the staff and sponsor vehicles to security/maintenance.

 

John motioned and Mike seconded to accept the report of Junior Recreation.  The motion was passed without dissent.

 

 

SECURITY REPORT

Tim was not present, but provided the following report in advance of the meeting.

 

There were no security calls in the past month.

 

The fire alarm at clubhouse went off as a result of the setup for a private event. The call could not be cancelled because the password was changed.  It was speculated that the password was changed when the phone lines were disconnected, then reconnected with a different carrier.

 

Tim reported that the guards are having trouble with access calls at night.  The list the guards are using is not accurate.  Few renters have provided their telephone numbers.  Dave pointed out that the switch to the new website will provide a more accurate phone list, and should alleviate some of the problem.  Residents are asked to notify the guards when visitors are expected.  The guardhouse number is (203)746-2130.

 

David indicated that the goal in the coming year is to fully investigate the security options available to the Isle, and present a recommendation to the residents at the 2016 Annual Meeting. 

 

David will ask Tim and Gary to begin to investigate potential options for gate installation.

 

 

MAINTENANCE REPORT

Pat Johnson reported that the Clubhouse tennis court has been cleaned, but is in need of patching. 

 

A portion of the Clubhouse basketball fence must be replaced.  One vendor has been a no show, but Pat expects to meet with another in the coming week.  The basketball court is also in need of extensive repairs including re-paving and repainting.  Kevin suggested that a substantial renovation should be investigated and included in the 2016-17 budget.

 

Pat reported that the split rail fence near the beach will be replaced this summer.  In addition, there is a problem with one of the railings leading into the water near the lifeguard stand which can’t be repaired until the lake is lowered in the fall.

 

David thanked Penny Poole and Cindy Taylor for their efforts to clean the Clubhouse before the weekend’s Cocktails on the Beach event.  Penny expressed concern that the cleaning crew isn’t cleaning the Clubhouse after events, and if they are, the performance is insufficient.  There was a question whether the rental fee included a cleaning fee, and both David and Kevin recalled that the fee included a cleaning fee.  Kevin will research past Board Meeting minutes to determine what the rental fee covers.  Following the meeting, it was determined that a cleaning fee of $500 is included the Clubhouse rental fee of $1,560.

 

Mike moved, and John seconded to accept the Maintenance report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

ROADS REPORT

Mike reported that the culvert clean-out has not begun.  Unfortunately, the contractor who is going to perform the service is the only vendor in the area, and Mike and Brian have been trying all they can to get them to begin.  When they arrive and perform the inspection of the culvert system, repairs will be performed to the most problematic culverts, and patching will be performed to the road surface.

 

In the meantime, major potholes will be patched with a temporary patch.  The culvert repair on Ridge will be repaved once the repair has settled.

 

Mike will call Excel to have the sand piles and sweeping machine removed.  Striping and speed bump painting will take place in the coming week.

 

David suggested that Mike inspect the roads near David’s house in Westchester where the micro-seal process was used.

 

William Dionisio asked why the road sweeping was done so late this year, and Mike explained the vendor was scheduled to complete the work on April 15, but had equipment and health problems that caused the delay. 

 

The brush cut back will take place in Late July

 

Pat Johnson moved, and John seconded to accept the Roads report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

MARINA/GOLF CART REPORT

The Marina/Golf Cart Applications have been reviewed.  There has been non-payment by some families for canoe racks, possibly because the families have moved off the Isle.  The Committee will perform an audit of the marina list and the master tax list this week.  As a result there may be a few racks available and the Committee will contact people on waiting list to take the available racks.

 

There are a few moorings available and the Committee has contacted people on waiting list to take the available moorings. 

 

This past week, divers reattached a mooring which came loose during a recent storm. 

 

The waiting list will be updated and uploaded to the website shortly.

 

Several sets of ores have been taken from the dingy.  Residents are asked to return the oars to the dingy area, and to report any misuse or inappropriate “borrowing” of the oars.

 

The Annual Candlewood Golf Classic Tournament will be hosted by the Candlewood Knolls on Friday July 24, 2015.  

 

Pat Johnson motioned to accept the report of the Marina/Golf Cart Committee.  Mike seconded and the report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

TECHNOLOGY REPORT

In Gonzalo’s absence, David reported that Association Voice is having a problem properly uploading our database to the new website.  There was no updated time line available for the launch of the website.

 

David will ask Gonzalo to meet with Tim and Gary to ensure that any security options considered will integrate smoothly with the new community management software.

 

Glenn Moore asked if a digital message board could be installed at the post office.  David reminded attendees that the new website has a message board component, and the sandwich board provides residents with the option to post events at the Post Office.

 

 

OLD/NEW BUSINESS

The Board agreed to move the July meeting to Thursday, July 16th at 7:30pm.

 

Peter Moore reported that an antique upright piano was being offered to the community for the Clubhouse.  While the Board was appreciative of the donation, there were concerns about damage to the floors, and whether there was appropriate space in the Clubhouse for the piano.  After some discussion, it was determined that Pat Johnson will measure a few areas in the Clubhouse to see if it would work in the space.  He will report his findings at the next meeting.

 

Vivian reported that the Directory was going to print this week.

 

Glenn Moore reported that he made four copies of the poster of the winning photos from the contest last month, and is offering framed versions for display wherever the Board deemed appropriate.  The posters will be hung in the Trading Post and in the Clubhouse. 

 

ADJOURNMENT

David adjourned the meeting at 11:25 am.

 

 

 

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Kevin Kovesci, Clerk