July

Candlewood Isle Tax District

Board Meeting Minutes

July 16, 2015

Trading Post

 

 

 

 

Board Members/Officers Present: David MacGown, President;  Kim Cronin, Vice President;  Pat Johnson, Maintenance;  Mike Mocarski, Roads;  Gonzalo Santos, Technology; Tim Larkin, Security.

 

Board Members/Officers Absent:  John Glynn, Marina; Vivian Mocarski, Junior Recreation; Nathan Archer, Treasurer;  Kevin Kovesci, Clerk.

 

Public Present:  Debbie Oulvey, John Cotumaccio, Penny Poole, Gordon and Susan Pascale

 

 

CALL TO ORDER

President, David MacGown called the meeting to order at 7:32 pm.

 

 

APPROVAL OF THE JUNE 21st BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Mike motioned to approve the June 21st Board Meeting minutes.  Pat Johnson seconded, and the motion was unanimously passed.

 

 

PUBLIC DISCUSSION

Penny Poole mentioned how successful all the latest parties have been.

 

Patrick Johnson asked to post a sign at the guard house for the “Fun Run” this Sunday.

 

Dave MacGown spoke about the recent noise complaints by residents.  This is an ongoing issue that the Board has been attempting to address in recent years.  David will draft a letter to all residents in an attempt to have residents “self regulate” the noise issue.  Kevin will resend a paragraph he wrote last year for the “Updates” section of the newsletter.

 

 

TREASURER REPORT

Nathan provided the following report in advance:

 

Account Balances as of 6/30/15;

Cash on hand - $484,770.93

Tax collections FY 2014-15 - $458,808.91 (includes prior years)

2014-15 taxes to be collected - $11,620.83

Taxes to be collected from previous years - $32,878.09

General Fund Balance: $147,787.36

 

Committee Balances as of 6/30/15:

Junior Rec - $148,395.29

Marina – $48,456.52

Tennis - $8,496.91

Adult Rec – $3,059.95

Bocce - $120

Capital Improvements – $74,127.86

 

Sandra Welwood is conducting the audit for the Tax District. Sandra has been on site with Karen, on the phone with Deanna and has set up a secure share file so updates can be made upon request.  Karen is on vacation during the week of July 20th and Deanna is just returning from a vacation, so Nathan will be in touch with Sandra to determine a timeline for audit completion.

 

Payment of invoices- Nathan and Deanna agree that it would be best if the Board provided a simple letter explaining our payment terms to vendors.  It seems there are three challenges, invoices being held up somewhere in the process, people not knowing who to ask for approvals and also inappropriate expectations on the ability to process payments.  Nathan prepared a letter that will help clarify all of these points, and asked the Board for feedback.  The simplest way for vendors to get paid promptly is for them to submit invoices to Karen promptly.

 

Kevin reported tax delinquencies continue to be collected, however four residents currently owe back taxes for several years amounting to over $23,000.  Kevin suggested, and the Board agreed, to begin the process of a tax sale on the properties in order to collect the arrears.  Kevin will contact Isle counsel to commence tax sales on the following properties: 10 Lake Drive South, 16 Lake Drive South, 33 Ridge Road and 28 Ridge Road. 

 

Kevin also reported that 29 Sunset Trail is being foreclosed upon by the Bank, and the arrears to the Isle will be paid at closing.  In addition, New Fairfield commenced a tax sale on 11 Fox Run, and the arrears to the Isle will be paid when that sale closes.

 

 

LIFEGUARD/WATERFRONT REPORT

Pat Johnson stated lifeguards are all doing a good job.  There have been a few minor incidents, but nothing major.

 

A new swim buoy was ordered for the swim area.

 

Gonzalo moved, and Kim seconded to accept the Lifeguard/Waterfront report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

JUNIOR RECREATION REPORT

Vivian provided the following report in advance of the meeting.

 

Camp is completing its 3rd week.  The Camp program has been revised as the result of a licensing issue with the state.  Campers will start going home for lunch from 12-1pm as of July 17th in order to comply with the State requirement that the Camp not serve lunch to Campers.  This change to the schedule makes the Isle program exempt from licensure.

 

Last day of camp is August 7th.

 

Terry MacGown also spoke about the recent license issue with the Isle Camp.  Junior Recreation will work with Counsel to determine whether the Camp should continue to satisfy the requirements for license exemption, or move forward with obtaining a license for Camp 2016.  The Camp far exceeds most of the State’s requirements for licensure.

 

Mike motioned and Gonzalo seconded to accept the report of Junior Recreation.  The motion was passed without dissent.

 

 

SECURITY REPORT

Tim reported that there were no calls from residents this month.

 

Mike motioned and Pat Johnson seconded to accept the Security report.  The motion was passed without dissent.

 

 

MAINTENANCE REPORT

Pat Johnson reported that the basketball court is in need of a complete renovation.  The fence is a hazard, the surface has serious cracks and a retaining wall has collapsed which allows water and dirt to run onto the court.  The cost to repair 100 feet of the basketball court fence is $1,700, or $4,800 to completely replace nearly 300 feet of fence.  Pat also explained that the retaining wall should be repaired while the fence is being installed or dirt will continue to wash onto the court.  Kevin expressed concern that the new fence might get in the way of future resurfacing of the court, which may cause additional costs to repair of replace.  Patrick will see if the new fence will cause problems with resurfacing.  If not, it was a consensus of the Board that the entire fence should be replaced.

 

Pat is looking into ways to reduce costs for the electric service at the clubhouse.

 

The security light at clubhouse has been repaired.

 

Mike moved, and Gonzalo seconded to accept the Maintenance report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

ROADS REPORT

Mike reported that the brush cut will be performed in late July.

 

The culvert cleaning and inspection will begin the week of July 20th, and a plan will be implemented to repair or replace the most damaged culverts.  Once the culverts are replaced, Mike will use the remaining funds for patching and repaving.  Pot-hole patching will take place to temporarily repair the most concerning pothole problems.  Mike hopes that all road repairs will be completed by the end of August.

 

Mike will obtain quotes from Roots/Shoots to remove a tree on the South end.

 

Pat moved, and Gonzalo seconded to accept the Roads report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

MARINA/GOLF CART REPORT

John was not present, but presented the following report in advance.

 

There are a few moorings available and the Marina Committee has contacted people on waiting list to occupy the moorings. All canoe racks are filled.

 

The Annual Candlewood Golf Classic Tournament will be hosted by the Candlewood Knolls on Friday July 24, 2015.  

 

 

TECHNOLOGY REPORT

The problem with the data transfer to AssociationVoice has been resolved, and most of the content from the old website has been transferred to the new website.  A Beta version of the new website has been made available and Gonzalo asked all Board members to provide feedback on the new site’s look and functionality.

 

Gonzalo will work with Karen to update the rest of the content transfer, including meeting minutes.  It was a consensus of the Board that all past minutes should be moved to the new site.

 

Mike motioned to accept the Technology Report.  Pat Johnson seconded and the report was accepted without dissent

 

 

OLD/NEW BUSINESS

Penny Poole and Terri MacGown addressed the issue that payments for all Adult Recreation events should be made through Isle Tax District. 

 

 

ADJOURNMENT

David adjourned the meeting at 8:42 pm. 

 

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Kevin Kovesci, Clerk from notes taken by Kim Cronin, Vice President