January

Candlewood Isle Tax District

Board Meeting Minutes

January 15, 2017

Trading Post

 

 

Board Members/Officers Present: David MacGown, President; Kim Cronin, Vice President; Nathan Archer, Treasurer; Kevin Kovesci (by phone), Clerk; Gonzalo Santos, Technology; Patrick Johnson, Maintenance; Joan Archer, Junior Recreation; Mike Mocarski, Roads.

 

Board Members/Officers Absent:. John Glynn, Marina; Tim Larkin, Security

 

Public Present: Penny Poole, Andrea Callahan, Michelle O’Connor  

 

 

CALL TO ORDER

President, David MacGown called the meeting to order at 10:03 am.

 

 

APPROVAL OF THE DECEMBER BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Kim made a motion to accept the minutes of the December 18, 2016 Board Meeting Minutes.  Patrick seconded, and the motion was unanimously passed.

 

 

PUBLIC DISCUSSION

Penny Poole and Michelle O’Connor spoke more on the idea of adding a permanent structure or patio outside at the Clubhouse. Penny has contacted Town Hall and had an estimate as well as various pictures of what the area might look like with the enhancements. Penny also spoke about the fundraiser an Auction/Party that is scheduled to be held July 8th.

 

The committee hopes to raise upwards of $20,000 and the enhancements will be completely financed without CITD taxpayer funds.

 

Andrea Callahan and Joan Archer spoke about setting up a temporary ice skating area over one of the tennis courts. Andrea researched this idea and the existing tennis courts would not be negatively impacted by this rink. They are further looking into the liability issues and have noted that the rink will be financed by a group of private citizens and not CITD taxpayer funds.

 

 

TREASURER REPORT

Cash on hand - $540,943.48

Tax collections FY 2016-17 - $412,935.29

2016-17 first installment to be collected $8,317.67

2015-16 taxes to be collected - $6,960.24

Taxes to be collected from previous years – $14,559.07

General Fund Balance: $297,812.82

 

Committee Balances as of 12/31/16:

Junior Rec - $64,385.86

Marina – $54,415.36

Tennis - $3,732.98

Adult Rec – $3,766.90

Bocce - $120

Capital Improvements – $74,127.86

 

Nathan reminds all residents that taxes are due January 1, 2017.  Late fees will be charged beginning February 1, 2017 for any unpaid balance.

 

Nathan reported that the first round of the 2015-16 audit is complete.  He believes the final version will be completed in the coming weeks.

 

David expressed concern that he has yet to receive the proposed budget requests from the Board members.  He explained that the Board will review the preliminary budget at the February meeting, and the final budget will be reviewed at the March meeting.

 

Patrick moved, and Gonzalo seconded to accept the Treasurer’s report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

LIFEGUARD/WATERFRONT REPORT

Patrick has advertised for lifeguards for the 2017 season in the Town Tribune and will begin interviews shortly. Pat also advised he is continuously looking for fabulous deals on beach chairs to purchase for the 2017 summer season.

Mike made a motion and Gonzalo seconded to accept the Lifeguard/Waterfront report.  The motion was passed without dissent. 

 

MAINTENANCE REPORT

Pat asked for a minimal raise for the on-going services of Kevin Larkin.  Pat also advised windows at clubhouse are still being repaired as they do not open and close correctly.

 

Patrick thanked Joan for preparing the Clubhouse Use guide.

 

Mike made a motion and Gonzalo seconded to accept the Maintenance report.  The motion was passed without dissent. 

 

JUNIOR RECREATION REPORT

Joan reported that the Summer Program experienced a loss for summer 2016, primarily as a result of lower enrollment.  The 2017 program will be accepting new campers in the younger age groups only.  Joan advised the fees will be increasing for 2017, and the staff will be reduced.

 

Patrick moved, and Mike seconded to accept the Junior Recreation report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

SECURITY REPORT

Tim presented the following report in advance. 

 

A resident reported that his daughter was followed onto the Isle late at night after the guards left for the night. Tim attempted to retrieve the photos of the person, but the DVR recorder was not working. Tim requested that the Board implement the plan to replace the cameras near the guard house.

 

 

MARINA/GOLF CART REPORT

There was no Marina/Golf Cart report.

 

 

ROADS REPORT

Mike reported all road work will resume in the Spring. By his estimate, $86,000 remains in the Roads budget, which will be spent culvert repair, paving and chip seal.  Specifically, the remaining section of Ridge road will see culvert repair and paving, and 1.5 miles of roadway will be chip sealed.  The 2017-18 proposed budget will see some culvert repairs and paving.  There will be no chip seal planned in the 2017-18 budget.

 

A resident at 56 Sunset Trail contacted Mike to determine whether his driveway is on an Isle roadway and should be plowed accordingly.  Mike and David will investigate with the Candlewood Isle Association.

 

Patrick motioned and Gonzalo seconded to accept the Roads report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

TECHNOLOGY REPORT

Gonzalo has the new website up and operating, and asked the Board members to visit the site.

 

It was decided that each instance of the minutes, notices and newsletters have their own icon to make it easier to locate the document in question.  He will continue to make changes and updates accordingly.

Mike motioned to accept the Technology report.  Patrick seconded, and the motion was accepted without dissent.

 

 

OLD/NEW BUSINESS

The board discussed Clubhouse rentals and it was decided that going forward renters will be Board approved.  The Board agreed that anyone wishing to rent the Clubhouse must be a direct Candlewood Isle resident, and any event must be an event for a direct resident of the Isle.

The next board meeting will be February 11, 2017 @ 10:00 am at the Trading Post.

 

EXECUTIVE SESSION

The Board went into Executive Session.

 

                                         

ADJOURNMENT

David Adjourned the meeting at 12:19 pm  

 

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Kim Cronin, Vice President