January

Candlewood Isle Tax District

Board Meeting Minutes

February 1, 2015 (postponed from January 18, 2015)

Trading Post

 

 

Board Members/Officers Present: David MacGown, President;  Vivian Mocarski, Junior Recreation;  Mike Mocarski, Roads;  Patrick Johnson, Maintenance;  Gonzalo Santos, Member-at-Large; Kevin Kovesci, Clerk.

Board Members/Officers Absent: Brian Wargin, Vice President;  Jeff Berman, Treasurer;  John Glynn, Marina;  Tim Larkin, Security;

Public Present:  Michael Sedlak

CALL TO ORDER

President, David MacGown called the meeting to order at 10:09 am.

APPROVAL OF THE DECEMBER BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Mike motioned to approve the December Board Meeting minutes.  Pat seconded, and the motion was unanimously passed.

 PUBLIC DISCUSSION

There was no public discussion

TREASURER REPORT

Account Balances as of 12/31/14;

Cash on hand - $371,591

Tax collections FY 2014-15 - $334,651

Tax Revenue to be collected - $110,848

General Fund Balance: $300,437.16

Committee Balances as of 12/31/14:

Junior Rec - $80,642.79

Marina – $32,171

Tennis - $4,894.70

Adult Rec – $2,201.02

Bocce - $120

Capital Improvements – $68,127.86

Michelle asked that each Board Member begin to prepare for the budgeting process. 

David asked Board Members if they were satisfied with the current financial reporting prepared by TAD.  Both Junior Recreation and Maintenance reported that there were errors in their reports.  Pat and Viv plan to meet with Karen and Michelle to reconcile the discrepancies.  David asked all Board Members to scrutinize their individual reports to ensure their accuracy.

Pat expressed concern that bills were still taking too long to be paid.

David will contact Jeff to determine the status of the 2013-2014 audit.

David reminded Board Members of the April 1st target to send out the Spring Packet.  The key issues to address in the packet and annual meeting are 1) the new plan for the roads 2) the possibility of implementing a new security plan, both of which will require additional capital.

Pat asked if there would be additional funds available as a result of the Clubhouse loan payoff, which will take place in March.  David reminded the Board that the Trading Post renovation loan costs approximately $20,000 per year for the next 9 years, which will reduce the Clubhouse loan payoff benefit from $50,000 to $30,000 per year.

LIFEGUARD/WATERFRONT REPORT

Pat will be sending letters to the lifeguards inviting them back for the 2015 summer season.  He will also place an ad in the Citizen News to attract more applicants.  Dave reminded Pat that the rates of pay for the Lifeguards had to be made public in advance of the summer season.

Mike motioned, and Kevin seconded to accept the report of the Lifeguard/Waterfront Committee.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 JUNIOR RECREATION REPORT

Vivian reported that bonuses will be sent out in February. 

The Committee has been working with Michelle and the Finance Committee to obtain the information necessary to balance Junior Recreation’s account.

Last year’s Camp Director is not returning for the summer 2015 session. The Committee is working on finding a new Director for Camp 2015, and will provide updates at future meetings.

Emails have been sent to last year’s staffinviting them back based on evaluations.  Interviews for CITs will be set up in February.

As Vivian reported in past meetings, there will be no new sponsors for Camp 2015.  In addition, new residents will need to get their car’s new sticker in order to sign up their child to camp.  Camp registration will no longer be accessed via website.

A new link will be created and sent out to the families once Ultra-camp is set up for Camp 2015.  All CITD and camp accounts most be cleared before participants can register for Camp 2015.  Karen has sent out emails to those families that have a balance from Camp 2014.  Residents who want to register a Camper must be current on CITD taxes and any other fees owed to the CITD.

Camp fees will stay the same for Camp 2015.  Senior groups might have a higher activity fee, depending on the trips that we will be able to book.

Pat motioned, and Gonzalo seconded to accept the Junior Recreation report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

                               

MAINTENANCE REPORT

Pat reported that Summit Heating and Cooling repaired the furnace in the Trading Post. 

The door to the guard house will be replaced when the weather permits.

Mike moved and Gonzalo seconded to accept the Maintenance report.  It was accepted without dissent.

 SECURITY REPORT

Tim presented his report in advance of the meeting.

The only issue during the past month occurred on January 28th and involved a resident who drove around a bus which was unloading children near the guard house.  The resident allegedly drove around the left side of the guard house and then drove around the bus.  Dave agreed to contact the resident directly.

ROADS REPORT

Mike proposed the installation of solar powered speed signs, which flash the speed cars are traveling.  The plan is an attempt to get residents to slow down on the Isle Roadways.  Mike will investigate the costs and will report back at the next meeting.

Mike reported that at least 11 culverts and catch basins are in need of full replacement.  Two of three estimates have been presented ranging from $23,500 to 28,000.  Mike will present the third estimate at the next meeting. 

Pat moved, and Vivian seconded to accept the Roads report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

MARINA/GOLF CART

David reiterated the Marina Committee’s decision which was announced at the last meeting to not proceed with applying to First Light for new slips for the 2015 season.  First Light requires a $20,000 escrow for legal fees before they will begin any discussion, and that any discussion had to proceed through attorneys.  Given that there seems to be a lack of clarity on the outcome of any application, it wasn’t deemed to be prudent to risk losing $20,000.

David also reminded all residents with slips and moorings that payments are due on March 31, 2015.

OLD/NEW BUSINESS

Association Voice Software Update

Gonzalo reported that the contract with Association Voice was executed in December.  He has been working on the program and is becoming more familiar with it.  Soon he will begin to move all of the information from the old website over to the new site.  He will have a target launch date at the next Board Meeting.

David suggested that before the launch, the following had to be ready, 1)existing content on the current website had to move to the new website, 2) the resident directory with self service capability had to be working and 3) email blast capability by the Board to residents

Gonzalo will check into the program’s compatibility with bill.com, and will report back at the next meeting. 

ADJOURNMENT

David adjourned the meeting at 11:00

Respectfully Submitted,

Kevin Kovesci, Clerk

 Last Updated

January