February 2016 Minutes & Notices

Candlewood Isle Tax District

Board Meeting Minutes

February 21, 2016

Trading Post

Board Members/Officers Present:  David MacGown, President;  Kim Cronin, Vice President;  Nathan Archer, Treasurer;  Kevin Kovesci, Clerk; Patrick Johnson, Maintenance;  Mike Mocarski, Roads; Tim Larkin, Security; John Glynn, Marina

 

Board Members/Officers Absent:  Vivian Mocarski, Junior Recreation;  Gonzalo Santos, Technology

Public Present:  none

CALL TO ORDER

President, David MacGown called the meeting to order at 10:00 am.

 

 

APPROVAL OF THE JANUARY 17th BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Patrick motioned to approve the January 17th Board Meeting minutes.  Kim seconded, and the motion was unanimously passed.

 

 

PUBLIC DISCUSSION

There was no public discussion.

 

 

LIFEGUARD/WATERFRONT REPORT

Patrick has reached out to last year’s lifeguards to determine who will be returning for the summer season.  Thus far, six lifeguards want to return full-time, including the head lifeguard (Grace Bundy).  Four others can work part-time, and two are awaiting possible internships before they can commit.  Patrick has yet to hear from eight others who may or may not be interested.  As a precaution, Patrick will place an ad in the Citizen News for two weeks and conduct interviews for possible back-ups for this season, as well as next.

 

The white fence that runs along the waterfront and beach is badly in need of a new paint job and will be addressed this spring or summer.

 

Mike moved, and Kim seconded to accept the Lifeguard/Waterfront report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

TREASURER REPORT

Account Balances as of 1/31/16:

Cash on hand - $503,420.18

Tax collections FY 2015-16 - $453,047.14

2015-16 taxes to be collected - $39,073.27

Past due first installment 2015-16 - $10,730.31

Taxes to be collected from previous years – $29,911.82

General Fund Balance: $312,446.68

 

Committee Balances as of 1/31/16:

Junior Rec - $74,127.49

Marina – $45,583.30

Tennis - $6,636.96

Adult Rec – $4,616.56

Bocce - $120.00

Capital Improvements – $74,127.86

 

Nathan reported that contracting with the Town for tax collections was not a viable option.  Therefore, he has proceeded with the plan to utilize TAD to compute late payment interest and to add the amounts to delinquent residents’ accounts each month.

 

Nathan will be working on the budget in the coming weeks and will need Board Members to provide information on their respecting budgets in the next two weeks.

 

Patrick moved, and Kim seconded to accept the Treasurer’s report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

ROADS REPORT

Mike reported that bids have come in for the six required culvert repairs.  The cost to repair each culvert ranges from $1,900 to $3,000 plus the cost of paving.  Following a review of the Roads budget, it was determined that approximately $75,000 was available in the 2015-16 roads budget to perform the repairs and pave over the repairs.  If more funds are available, Mike would like to completely replace the culvert on Deer Run.  The work would likely be performed April 15th, with paving to be performed by May 1st.

 

Mike will begin to assess an additional round of culvert repair and paving which will take place after the next fiscal year begins on July 1st.  Kevin asked if there was any value in performing more culvert repair in this fiscal year, and pave in the next fiscal year, but Mike was concerned that there would be too much “wash-out” if there was too much time between the repairs and paving.  He cited the Ridge Road repair last year where there was too much time between the repair and paving.

 

Road sweeping and catch basin cleanout will take place in April.

 

Patrick moved, and Kim seconded to accept the Roads report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

MAINTENANCE REPORT

Patrick reported that there were issues with the WiFi at the Clubhouse, and Frontier provided a new modem.  

 

The sound system device for receiving internet and playing music, (i.e. Pandora) separate from TV and iPhones, is obsolete and no longer working.  Patrick met with the company who installed the original system and will forward the proposal he recommended as a replacement.

 

Patrick was present during the Clubhouse during walk through for weddings taking place next Fall, and all were not impressed with the condition of the couches (especially at the entry-way) or lounge chairs. I mentioned they could place any furniture in the camp area downstairs as long as it gets returned afterward.  Kevin suggested that the Tax District is well ahead of budget in the collection of past years’ taxes as well as interest on those obligations (between $15-20,000).  He will review the amounts with Deanna and Karen, and Kim will look into the cost of new furniture.

 

The stone walkway and stairs leading to the front Clubhouse door, is in need of repair/replacement. Patrick will be getting some bids in the next few weeks for this as well as, rebuilding the pillar by the playground and hand rail, re-pointing the wall that separates the parking area from the Clubhouse, and replacing the western most handrail that leads into the lake swim area off the beach.  Patrick will check with the insurance agent to determine if the damage is covered under the policy.

 

Patrick reported that he will need to hire some sort of lift or bucket truck this spring to clean the higher up windows on the exterior of the Clubhouse, as well as fix lighting structures and replace burnt out light bulbs.

 

Patrick introduced Kevin’s request that the Board plant 5-6 new trees around the Clubhouse which will, in time replace some of the older trees.  Kevin reported that the cost would be between $1,500 and $2,000, including planting.  Patrick was reluctant to commit money from the Maintenance budget, given the uncertainty of the repairs necessary around the Clubhouse.  Kevin will get a formal proposal and the Board will readdress the matter at the next meeting.

 

Kevin moved, and Mike seconded to accept the Maintenance report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

SECURITY REPORT

Tim received a call from a resident that water was running out of a house on Lake Drive South, and it was reported to the owner.  However, he reported that contacting the owner was difficult because he did not have accurate emergency contact information.  Tim asks all residents to provide the Board with emergency contact information.  This information if different from the directory information (including all telephone numbers and email address) should be sent to office@candlewoodisle.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

 

Kevin motioned to accept the Security Report.  Mike seconded and the report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

TECHNOLOGY REPORT

Gonzalo was absent, but presented the following report in advance. 

 

As discussed last month there will be three proposals to address Isle security:

 

- No Change - continue with the current security protocols with guards.

- Small Scale - new technology generally consisting of cameras and video recording

- Larger Scale - more complete replacement of guard responsibilities

 

Scope - Considerations

 

There are two general approaches to addressing Isle security.

 

First, is a more reactive approach. This entails mostly high-resolution cameras that can be passively monitored by a remote control center. Cameras would record license plates in and out. If residents register their license plates, then non-Isle vehicles can be identified more quickly. This can tie license plates to time stamps for "after-the-fact" investigation.

 

Cameras can also be placed around the Clubhouse, Trading Post, courts and potentially other places around the Isle to keep track of activity as situations arise.

 

Second, is a more preventative approach. It is designed to deter unknown guests and authorize residents / invited guests. It would include the first approach plus a gate entry / exit system at the entrance. Different vendors have different approaches to handling vehicle / people identification. Gonzalo is looking into this remote guard system but it will be more expensive both in initial and on-going costs.

 

If the first approach with people / vehicle identification system and remote incident trigger monitoring is strong enough, this may be a good cost-effective approach. Something to consider given that the community is relatively safe and it would minimize the administrative aspects of security.

 

Gonzalo will be looking at four vendors who will be providing proposals in the coming weeks.

 

Security101 - http://www.security101.com/

AST Security - http://www.astsecurity.net/default.aspx

Security USA / Vurtual Way - http://www.securityusa.info/

Virtual Doorman - http://www.virtualdoorman.com/

 

 

After some discussion, the Board agreed that it was not possible to move forward on a Security proposal for the Spring packet and Annual Meeting, and as such the process will be delayed another year.

 

David reminded the Board that the only budget area where funds could be used more efficiently is the Security budget, thereby freeing more funds for the roads.  He explained that it was his hope, as promised at the last two Annual Meetings, that the Board would be able to present a Security alternative which would allow more funds to be spent on roads, but it is clear that the issue hadn’t progressed far enough to have a proper deliberation before the Annual Meeting. 

 

 

MARINA/GOLF CART REPORT

As mentioned in the December report: Members of the Marina Committee had a meeting with First Light to request an exchange of moorings for boat slips and adding a “No Wake” mooring.  The Marina Committee contacted the Candlewood Lake Authority and DEP to inform them of the intentions, but have not received a response from CLA or DEP.

 

The Marina Committee contacted First Light again and informed them of the intent to proceed, and they asked that the Committee write a letter and draw maps of the Isle marina redesign that will be sent to FERC attorneys for review.  The Marina Committee will contact DEP & CLA again this week in hopes of moving this along at a faster pace.  The Committee is exploring every option possible for marina expansion that does not incur great expense.

 

The 2016 Marina & Golf Cart applications were scheduled to go out in January of 2016 with payment due April 1, 2016 but the Committee has been hesitant to do so depending on how our request moves forward.  When it becomes clear that slips won’t be added this year, the Committee will send out 2016 Marina & Golf Cart Applications.

 

The Marina Committee will attempt to start maintenance on docks in March depending on the weather.

 

Kim motioned to accept the Marina Report.  Patrick seconded and the report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

JUNIOR RECREATION REPORT

Vivian presented the following report in advance.

 

Junior Recreation is working on finishing the budget and conducting interviews for various Camp positions.  If anyone is interested in being considered for a position as a tennis instructor or counselor, they can send an email to campemployees@candlewoodilsle.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

OLD/NEW BUSINESS

There was no Old/New Business.

ADJOURNMENT

David adjourned the meeting at 11:00am. 

Respectfully Submitted,

Kevin Kovesci, Clerk

Last Updated on Thursday, 03 March 2016 11:56