February

Candlewood Isle Tax District

Board Meeting Minutes

February 22, 2015

Trading Post

 

 

 

Board Members/Officers Present: David MacGown, President;  Brian Wargin, Vice President;  Vivian Mocarski, Junior Recreation;  Mike Mocarski, Roads;  Gonzalo Santos, Member-at-Large;  John Glynn, Marina;  Kevin Kovesci, Clerk.

 

Board Members/Officers Absent:  Jeff Berman, Treasurer; Patrick Johnson, Maintenance; Tim Larkin, Security.

 

Public Present:  Michelle O’Connor, Erin McCollum.

 

 

CALL TO ORDER

President, David MacGown called the meeting to order at 10:13 am.

 

 

APPROVAL OF THE FEBRUARY 1st BOARD MEETING MINUTES

The January meeting was postponed due to weather, and was rescheduled for February 1st.  John motioned to approve the February 1st Board Meeting minutes.  Mike seconded, and the motion was unanimously passed.

 

 

PUBLIC DISCUSSION

There was no public discussion

 

 

TREASURER REPORT

Account Balances as of 1/31/15;

Cash on hand - $396,551

Tax collections FY 2014-15 - $416,177

Tax Revenue to be collected - $29,322

General Fund Balance: $267,973.99

Committee Balances as of 1/31/15:

Junior Rec - $80,642.79

Marina – $31,338.85

Tennis - $4,894.70

Adult Rec – $2,201.02

Bocce - $120

Capital Improvements – $68,127.86

 

David reminded the Board that the deadline to send out the Spring packet is near.  He asked all Board members to present preliminary budgets prior to the next Board meeting, which will be held on March 15, 2015. 

 

Roads will present two budgets; one where the new 10 year road repaving plan is implemented and a second budget which implements the patch and repair plan the Board has used for the past two years.  Both budgets will include the cost of replacing 11 storm drains, which Mike has been researching.  While the patch and repair plan has been successful, it is becoming clear that the roads are deteriorating at a rate faster than the roads are being patched and repaired.

 

Gonzalo will prepare a budget for the new software and monthly fees, which will be incorporated into the office budget.

 

 

LIFEGUARD/WATERFRONT REPORT

There was no Lifeguard/Waterfront report.

 

 

JUNIOR RECREATION REPORT

Vivian announced that the 2015 Camp dates are June 29th to August 7th.  There will be no camp on July 3rd.

 

A new Camp Director has been hired for Camp 2015.   Lori McManemin, is from the town of New Fairfield and has 20+ years of experience working at other camps.

 

Bonuses for last year’s camp Counselors were sent out to those who were eligible for a bonus.

 

All CITs (Counselor in Training) who participated in camp last summer and turn 16 by the beginning of camp (June 29th), are eligible to apply to a counselor position, but must go through an interview process with the Camp Committee.  All CITs and staff from Summer 2014 have been contacted by the Camp ambassadors via email.  If someone was not reached via email, those individuals should contact the Committee through campemployees@candlewoodisle.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

 

All registrations will be emailed to the taxpayers. As mentioned at previous Board Meetings, there will be no new sponsors for Camp 2015.  Family and friends will still be registered by the taxpayers.  All CITD taxes must be current in order for the registration to be accepted. All new rentals must go through the office ( office@candlewoodisle.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) in order to register their car and then for camp.  Cars must be registered with the new stickers before registering for camp.

 

Registrations will be sent out by April to all those families that have no balances and registered last year. All residents are asked to update email addresses and mailing addresses through directory@candlewoodisle.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

 

New residents should contact Karen at office@candlewoodisle.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it to make certain they receive the proper information for Camp 2015.

 

Camp fees will not be raised for the Camp 2015, however, activity fees will depend on the activities and the group size.

 

Mike motioned, and John seconded to accept the Junior Recreation report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

SECURITY REPORT

Tim sent the following report in advance.  There were no security calls since the last meeting.

 

David spoke with the resident mentioned at last month’s meeting who drove around the school bus.  The resident was apologetic, and assured David that it would not happen again.

 

The DVR for the security cameras is no longer functioning.  Tim reported that he included a line item in his 2014-15 budget to cover the cost of a new DVR, and will have a new one installed.

 

                                      

MAINTENANCE REPORT

In Pat’s absence, David reported that the door to the guard house has been ordered, and will be replaced when the weather permits.

 

David asked Michelle to look into a discrepancy the Pat has been reporting regarding a payroll expense that has been charged to Pat’s budget.  Michelle will work with Deanna and Pat to reconcile the account.

 

David asked Mike and Brian to resolve the ongoing condensation issue with the Trading Post furnace.  Both agreed to fix the problem in the next week.  John agreed to donate a dehumidifier for the space.

 

 

ROADS REPORT

Mike reminded residents that they need to remove their cars from the Isle roadways during the winter season.  The plowing contractor complained that he has not been able to properly plow because cars are in the way.

 

Mike reported that the cost of salt has gone up because of high demand this winter.  As a result, he may spend more than was budgeted for salt, but since salt is such a small percentage of the overall roads budget, the additional cost should not materially affect the overall roads budget.

 

Gonzalo moved, and John seconded to accept the Roads report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

MARINA/GOLF CART REPORT

John reported that during preparation of the 2015 Marina & Golf Cart Applications, the topic of requiring proof of insurance for boaters was discussed by the Marina Committee.  Legal counsel advised the Committee to add language to the application and further advised the Committee to consult an insurance professional about the limits of liability insurance slip and mooring holders should carry.  The insurance professional consulted advised the minimum amount of insurance coverage should be $300,000 per vessel.  As a result, the 2015 applications are in the process of being edited to include new language, and will be sent to counsel for final approval.  Upon receiving approval the applications will be sent out.  Therefore, this process has delayed the distribution of the 2015 applications and, as a result, the deadline for application and payment has been extended to April 15, 2015.

 

The Marina Committee is working on the budget for 2015, and will present it at the March 2015 Board meeting.

 

John reported that additional work and maintenance needs to be done to both Marinas in the Spring of 2015.

 

Mike moved, and Brian seconded to accept the Marina/Golf Cart report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

TECHNOLOGY REPORT

Gonzalo advised that the website and email went down for a few days last week.  The problem has been resolved.

 

Gonzalo has been copying content from the old website and populating the new website.  By the next Board meeting, Gonzalo believed a beta site will be available for the Board to review and provide feedback.

 

 

OLD/NEW BUSINESS

Spring Packet sent by email

Kevin informed the Board that residents who attended last year’s annual meeting were presented with an option to receive the Spring Packet by email, rather than First Class Mail.  Those wishing to receive the Spring Packet by email needed to sign the form and return it to the office.  Kevin will ask Karen to send the form via email to all residents in an effort to enlist more residents to opt-in.

Clubhouse Rentals

The Board reviewed two requests to rent the clubhouse; one on May 24th, and the second on June 13th.  The Board needed additional input from Adult Recreation and tabled the decision.  The Board later approved both rentals by email.

 

ADJOURNMENT

David adjourned the meeting at 11:32

Respectfully Submitted,

Kevin Kovesci, Clerk