December

Candlewood Isle Tax District

Board Meeting Minutes

December 13, 2015

Trading Post

 

 

 

 

Board Members/Officers Present:  David MacGown, President;  Kim Cronin, Vice President;  Nathan Archer, Treasurer;  Kevin Kovesci, Clerk; Patrick Johnson, Maintenance;  Mike Mocarski, Roads;  Gonzalo Santos, Technology; John Glynn, Marina.

 

Board Members/Officers Absent:  Tim Larkin, Security; Vivian Mocarski, Junior Recreation

 

Public Present:  Karen Hanley (Office Manager), Terry MacGown, Robert Stryker, Judy Paniccia

 

 

CALL TO ORDER

President, David MacGown called the meeting to order at 10:05 am.

 

 

APPROVAL OF THE NOVEMBER 15th BOARD MEETING MINUTES

John motioned to approve the November 15th Board Meeting minutes.  Mike seconded, and the motion was unanimously passed.

 

 

PUBLIC DISCUSSION

There was no public discussion.

 

 

TREASURER REPORT

Cash on hand - $445,774.19

Tax collections FY 2015-16 - $335,517.21

2015-16 taxes to be collected - $155,607.12

Past due first installment 2015-16 - $6,604.06

Taxes to be collected from previous years – $37,234.91

General Fund Balance: $230,295.92

 

Committee Balances as of 11/30/15:

Junior Rec - $84,156.03

Marina – $46,595.68

Tennis - $6,636.96

Adult Rec – $4,616.56

Bocce - $120.00

Capital Improvements – $74,127.86

 

 

 

Nathan reported that he spoke with the Auditor, who informed Nathan that all of the Isle’s accounting processes are in order.  Nathan expects a completed 2014-15 audit shortly.

 

David and Nathan agreed to meet over the Holidays to discuss the budget process for FY 2016-2017.

 

On behalf of the Board, David thanked Karen Hanley for her hard work as Office Manager.

 

Mike moved, and John seconded to accept the Treasurer’s report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

LIFEGUARD/WATERFRONT REPORT

Patrick reported that he will be contacting last year’s lifeguards to determine who will be returning for the 2016 summer season.

 

Mike moved, and Gonzalo seconded to accept the Lifeguard/Waterfront report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

JUNIOR RECREATION REPORT

Vivian presented the following report in advance. 

 

Bonuses have been sent out to all Camp staff via direct deposit. CIT bonuses have also been processed, and checks will be sent out this week.

 

Camp Ambassadors will be sending out an email to all staff explaining the bonuses.  If there are questions, please contact Vivian at junior@candlewoodisle.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

 

Shannon Larkin has accepted the Camp Director Summer 2016 position. Camp 2016 will be 6 weeks.  The exact weeks have yet to be determined, but camp will start sometime after June 24 and end sometime before August 12.

 

Camp hours for the Tots will be from 9am - 12:30pm.  Camp hours for the General Camp will be from 9am - 3:30 with one hour for lunch break.  Caregivers must plan to pick up campers at lunch time and will be permitted to have lunch with campers around the designated food areas around the clubhouse.  However, caregivers will not have access inside the clubhouse cannot use the staff to supervise children during the lunch break.  This change in schedule will resolve the licensing issue faced in the 2015 Camp.  Camp fees will increase as a result of the scheduling change since Camp staff will be required to stay an extra half hour per day.

 

 

SECURITY REPORT

Tim provided the following report in advance of the meeting. 

 

Tim did not receive any security calls from residents this month.  Tim reiterated his request that if residents see anything unusual they should call Tim immediately.

MAINTENANCE REPORT

Patrick expressed concern that some of the groups who have been using the Clubhouse were not cleaning up after their events.  In addition, he noted that residents are not properly locking the terrace door of the clubhouse after functions.

 

Patrick thanked Tim and Kathie Oshann for decorating the window boxes at the Trading Post.

 

John moved, and Mike seconded to accept the Maintenance report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

ROADS REPORT

Mike is waiting for bids to come back on the necessary culvert repairs.  David suggested that it is likely that the cost of the repairs will use most of the available road repair budget for 2015-16.

 

Mike briefly explained a few paving alternatives he has been investigating, including an option to reclaim the current road material and reapply it back onto the surface. 

 

Patrick mentioned that he will purchase a tarp to cover the salt at the salt shed from the Maintenance budget.

 

Robert Stryker mentioned that the town neglected to stripe Candlewood Isle Road after they paved it.  Mike agreed to contact the Town to request that it be striped.

 

Patrick moved, and John seconded to accept the Roads report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

MARINA/GOLF CART REPORT

Members of the Marina Committee met with representatives from First Light to request exchanging moorings for boat slips and adding a “No Wake” zone.    The Marina Committee followed up with a letter to First Light and are waiting for their reply.

 

John reported that it is too early to tell if plans should be made to build new slips, but the Marina Committee will be prepared.

 

2016 Marina & Golf Cart applications will go out in January of 2016 with payment due April 1, 2016.  

 

Patrick moved, and Gonzalo seconded to accept the Marina/Golf Cart report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

TECHNOLOGY REPORT

Gonzalo informed the Board that the problems with database transfer from Quickbooks to AssociationVoice could not be resolved.  As a result, Gonzalo proposed that the Board abandon its attempts to work with AssociationVoice as a vendor, and move in a different direction.

 

Gonzalo suggested the Board use a vendor that can host a website that works well with bill.com and Quickbooks.  He will then find a security option that will work with the website hosted by the vendor.  He did not believe that there is an option available that would satisfy all of the requirements the Board had for a centralized system.

 

David reminded Gonzalo of the minimal requirements necessary, which included a user friendly means by which a resident could check account balances, change personal information, read minutes, meeting agendas, legal notices, and check calendars.  In addition, the ability to add a security feature was important as was the Board’s ability to communicate with residents.  Gonzalo acknowledged that all of this could be accomplished.

 

Gonzalo reported that communication via email has been drastically improved, through Karen’s efforts.  Karen acknowledged that she had approximately 2/3rds of the residents’ email addresses, and is able to send emails to residents regularly with minimal returns.

 

David explained that it is necessary to produce a system that is easy to maintain and administer given the Board and office manager positions can change frequently.  Gonzalo assured the Board that he didn’t see a problem with ease of use or continuity.

 

Before the next meeting, Gonzalo will get with Gary Lupo and Tim Larkin to discuss a Security strategy as it relates to technology.

 

David reiterated that by the March meeting, a comprehensive plan must be complete and presented in the Spring Packet.

Mike motioned to accept the Technology Report.  John seconded and the report was accepted without dissent.

 

OLD/NEW BUSINESS

Kevin reported that prior to the meeting the Board agreed, by email, to pay well-deserved holiday bonuses to the security guards as well as Office Manager, Karen Hanley.

 

ADJOURNMENT

David adjourned the meeting at 11:05 am. 

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Kevin Kovesci, Clerk