April

April

Candlewood Isle Tax District

Board Meeting Minutes

April 18, 2015

Trading Post

 

 

 

Board Members/Officers Present: David MacGown, President;  Tim Larkin, Security; Patrick Johnson, Maintenance;  Mike Mocarski, Roads;  Gonzalo Santos, Technology;  Kevin Kovesci, Clerk.

 

Board Members/Officers Absent:  Brian Wargin, Vice President;  Jeff Berman, Treasurer;  Vivian Mocarski, Junior Recreation;  John Glynn, Marina.

 

Public Present:  Penny Poole, Ken Bannon, David Brand, Gary Lupo, Gordon Pascal

 

 

CALL TO ORDER

President, David MacGown called the meeting to order at 10:10 am.

 

 

APPROVAL OF THE MARCH 14th BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Pat Johnson motioned to approve the March 14th Board Meeting minutes.  Mike seconded, and the motion was unanimously passed.

 

 

PUBLIC DISCUSSION

There was no public discussion

 

 

MARINA/GOLF CART REPORT

In John’s absence, David read the following report which was presented in advance.

 

The 2015 Marina/Golf Cart Application has been emailed and mailed. The deadline to submit applications has been extended to May 15, 2015 as a result of the delay in producing a new application.  

 

The Marina Committee submitted a proposed budget, which will be included with the Spring Packet.

Additional work and maintenance will be performed to both marinas in the spring of 2015.   In addition, divers will install new moorings and re-aligning existing moorings in the very near future.  

 

Docks will be installed on Saturday May 16, 2015 at 8:30am, volunteers are welcome.  Coffee, donuts, and lunch will be served to all volunteers. 

 

The Annual Candlewood Golf Classic Tournament will be hosted by the Candlewood Knolls on Friday July 24, 2015.   

 

Ken Bannon and David Brand expressed concern for the length of time residents have been waiting for a slip in the Marina.  Both recalled that at the 2013 annual meeting, there was hope that the Isle could easily negotiate a “mooring for slip” agreement with First Light.  Having read the minutes where the Board has had discussions about the issue, David and Ken understood that the process to gain approval to add new slips begins with a $20,000 escrow with First Light to cover the cost of legal fees, with no guarantee that additional slips would be approved.

 

Mike pointed out that First Light has taken a far more hostile stance on everything from adding slips to funding the CLA during the last year.  Gordon pointed out that the Marina Committee has already spent close to $15,000 researching various plans to expand the existing marinas, to no avail.  It was a consensus of the members of the Marina Committee that additional funds could not be spent on expanding the marinas at this time. 

 

David Brand and Ken Bannon proposed approaching the 50+ residents on the wait list to raise the $20,000 necessary to start the process.   

 

David MacGown reminded attendees that all programs on the Isle are self sustaining and cannot rely upon taxpayer funding.  In fact, the programs contribute tens of thousands annually to the general fund of the Tax District to cover the cost of utilizing facilities and services such as insurance and utilities.

 

It was a consensus of all in attendance that David Brand and Ken Bannon are welcome to approach those on the wait list to raise the $20,000 to begin the process of expanding the existing marinas.

 

David MacGown asked that David and Ken speak with John and Gordon to fully understand what work has already been done.  Kevin asked that it be made clear to those on the wait list that spending the money would not guarantee a slip, nor would it cover the cost of building the slips.  

 

 

TREASURER REPORT

Kevin presented the following balances to the Board in Jeff’s Absence.

 

Account Balances as of 3/31/15;

Cash on hand - $406,193

Tax collections FY 2014-15 - $420,928

2014-15 taxes to be collected - $24,524

Taxes to be collected from previous years - $26,455

General Fund Balance: $227,199

 

Committee Balances as of 3/31/15:

Junior Rec - $68,293.16

Marina – $31,338.85

Tennis - $4,894.70

Adult Rec – $2,201.02

Bocce - $120

Capital Improvements – $74,127.86

 

David reported that two auditors have presented proposals to perform the annual audit.  One more will present a proposal, and Jeff will provide a recommendation shortly.

 

David informed the Board that TAD requested to increase their monthly by $50 to $950.  The Board agreed to include the increase as part of the Budget which will be presented to the residents.

 

Kevin informed the Board that delinquency letters have been sent to those who have yet to pay taxes.   Several have paid, and those who have not made payments by the end of the month, or have not contacted the Board with a plan to bring their accounts current will be turned over to counsel to begin collection proceedings.

 

 

LIFEGUARD/WATERFRONT REPORT 

Pat Johnson reported that the lifeguard staff for the 2015 season has been selected.  David reminded Pat Johnson that the rates of pay need to be approved by the Board.  Pat Johnson will present the rates of pay at the next Board meeting.

 

The gangway that connects the swim lanes to the sea wall needs to be repaired.  Pat Johnson will make certain the repairs are complete before the swim lanes are installed.

 

Mike moved, and Tim seconded to accept the Lifeguard/Waterfront report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

JUNIOR RECREATION REPORT

Registration for Camp 2015 opened on April 15th.  An email was sent to all the families who registered last year, except for sponsors.  All new families or summer rentals need to contact Karen at the office or junior@candlewoodisle.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .  All rental families must have rental stickers for their cars before registering for camp.  Registration will close June 1st for residents, and there will be a $100 late fee for those who register after June 1st.  Residents can make changes or updates to the registration after June 1st without penalties.  Resident's live-in guests can be added during the camp weeks without penalty.  New rentals can register after June 1st without penalty.

 

Sponsors are families who have been invited by residents to participate in the CI Camp program but do not live-in the Isle, aren't family of residents in the Isle, nor are they live-in guests.  Residents that sponsored families in the past will be sent out an email with the information on how their sponsors can register and a form that needs to be completed by the resident and the sponsored guest.  Camp will open sponsor registrations from June 1st to June 15th - no sponsors will be accepted after that day.  Camp will only have room in the Tot program for new sponsors this year.  Anyone that would like to sponsor someone in the Tots program please contact Vivian through the junior recreation email or Karen at the office.

 

Camp this year is 6 weeks from June 29th through August 7th. There will be no camp on July 3rd, in observance of Independence Day.

 

Staff is being placed now.  The staffing ambassadors will be sending out the emails in the next week to all applicants that have contacted us.

 

CITs (Counsellors in Training) need to turn 15th before September 1st.  They are registered the same way a camper is registered.  CITs will be offered the opportunity to help our counselors and specialists and receive on the job training as they rotate throughout all the younger groups ages 5-10. Please understand that we try to keep this group busy and teach the skills that will later be applied to a possible counselor position and/or a community service volunteer position. All CITs are given feedback throughout their CIT weeks by their director, captains and our staff ambassadors. CITs are not guaranteed a camp position. At the end of their summer/CIT weeks, the CITs are evaluated by their co-workers, the director and the parents. All CITs will be offered an interview by our staff Ambassadors before being considered for a staff position – REMEMBER SAFETY IS OUR PRIORITY.

 

The Camp website page will be updated by May 1st with the trips and prices. Prices have not been raised this year. Camp will be offering Paddleboard and Wakeboard/Waterskiing again this year to our 8-14 year old campers. Sailing will be offered as well thanks to the generosity of board member Patrick Johnson volunteering his time!) Splashdown trip will be offered to our 6 year old campers and up. If parents would like to join the trip and take their 5 year olds, please contact Vivian or Karen to add the trip. Unfortunately we can't accommodate the 5 year olds or parents in the buses, so you will be responsible for your own transportation.

 

If any resident would like to be an ambassador, please contact Vivian at the junior recreation address.

 

Vivian’s text and email  – 203-253-4997; junior@candlewoodisle.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Karen/office – 203-746-0220 office@candlewoodisle.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Camp’s/Director’s email – camp@candlewoodisle.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Staff Ambassadors’ email – campemployees@candlewoodisle.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

 

 

SECURITY REPORT

Tim reported that there were no security calls during the last month.  

 

The Clubhouse passed the annual fire inspection which was recently conducted.

 

Tim proposed that the Board extend the current security contract with Secure America.  The issue was tabled until the next meeting.

 

Pat Johnson expressed the need to improve the level of professionalism in the replacement guards.  Tim suggested that the rate of pay being offered is not enough to attract a higher quality of guard.

 

Mike motioned to accept the Security Report.  Pat Johnson seconded, and the motion was accepted without dissent. 

 

 

MAINTENANCE REPORT

Pat Johnson explained that he wasn’t certain as to where his budget stood at this point of the year.  After looking at the March 31st report, David informed him that he had spent approximately $38,000 of the $46,000 maintenance budget.

 

Pat Johnson requested that since utilities were included in his budget, the bills should be going to him for review.  It was agreed, and Pat Johnson will be in touch with Deana to make certain his receives the invoices going forward.

 

Pat Johnson will contact various heating oil providers to lock into the best rate for next year.  

 

Mike moved, and Tim seconded to accept the Maintenance report.  The report was accepted without dissent

 

 

TECHNOLOGY REPORT

Gonzalo has been investigating several security options that can be added onto AssociationVoice (the new website and community management software  which Gonzalo is currently in the process of implementing).  Light, medium and heavy options are available, and Gonzalo suggested the medium option for the Isle security which would include:

 

Installing two arms of control gates at the entrance lane and exit lane to the Isle.  The arms would be controlled by an RDF reader, similar to an EZPass.  Access can also be obtained for guests and contractors using a bar code scanner, where the contractor or guest can scan a pre-printed bar code. People attempting to gain entry without the device or bar code can speak with a person 24/7 who will serve as a virtual guard and will provide access.

    

The cost to install the security hardware would be approximately $57,000, and the monthly cost for the service would be $689 per month, or $8,268 per year.

 

David reiterated that this something the Board has been considering, either in conjunction with the current security arrangement with SecurAmerica, or in lieu of it.   The Board will present it to the residents at the annual meeting and will ask for feedback.

 

Gonzalo announced that he is close to launching the new website.  All content has been moved over from the old website to the new website, and all that is required is to upload resident data from Quickbooks.  The process will only take a day or two.  The website should be ready to launch before the annual meeting.  

 

Pat Johnson motioned, and Mike seconded to accept the Technology report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

ROADS REPORT

Mike reported that another sink hole was discovered on Ridge Road as a result of another failed culvert.  The culvert is the same “vintage” as the one that failed last summer on Sunset Trail – the same “vintage” as most of the culverts around the Isle.  Mike’s concern is that there are many other culverts which have already failed, or are about to fail.

 

Mike suggested that it would not be prudent to begin an accelerated road resurfacing program  if there was an underlying culvert problem that would require digging up freshly laid asphalt to replace a failing culvert system.  In order to properly investigate the extent of the problem, the culvert system needs to be flushed with pressurized water, then videotaped with a special camera to determine where the most critical problems are.  As a result, it was Mike’s feeling that the Board only repair potholes this year and focus all efforts on figuring out which culverts were the biggest concerns.

 

Kevin suggested that Mike begin part of the long term road plan in conjunction with the culvert investigation, pointing out that several repairs have been made to the roads where it will not present problems if the culvert needed to be removed nearby.  

 

Gonzalo moved to authorize Mike to spend $15,000 for the emergency culvert repair on Ridge Road. Pat Johnson seconded, and the motion passed unanimously. 

 

Pat Johnson moved, and Gonzalo seconded to accept the Roads report.  The report was accepted without dissent.

 

 

OLD/NEW BUSINESS

Nominating Committee

David appointed the Nominating Committee to present the slate.  The members include Gordon Pascal, Pat Callahan and Andy Butorac.

 

2015-16 Budget

The Board discussed the Budget that will be presented at the May 9th Budget Hearing.

 

 

ADJOURNMENT

David adjourned the meeting at 1:00pm.

 

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Kevin Kovesci, Clerk